Monday 26 May 2014

First four chapters completed

As some of you may be aware I have been spending some time writing a book (http://www.steveo1967.blogspot.com.es/2013/12/writing-book.html) about psychology and software testing.  It has been a huge learning experience and at times I have questioned myself on if this is something that people really want and more importantly willing to pay for.

I have kept pushing back the publishing date due to a number of reasons.  One of the main reasons has been do I publish early, even though the book is not complete at a discount price.  Since I am using LeanPub and can do this and get feedback on what i have done already.  Would people still be willing to buy a book that is not complete?  Having spoken to a few people there have been some mixed reactions.  Some people like the idea that they can get an unfinished book at a cheap price and then get the updates for free.  Others would rather wait and pay for a completed book.  So this dilemma has been running around my head for awhile now and even though I have about 30% of the book complete I was still reluctant to publish.

So it now comes to the reason for this post.

I have decided to go ahead and publish the first four chapters of the book.

These chapters include the following topics:
  • Chapter 1 Software Testing Biases
  • Chapter 2 An Emotional Rollercoaster
  • Chapter 3 The Fallacy of Intuition
  • Chapter 4 Quality Preference or Perception

I have another chapter on learning and training almost complete and once it has gone through the editing process it will be added to the published book.

As more of the book is completed I will be increasing the price by a dollar or two once a new chapter has been added.

Some of the topics (chapters) I plan to add in the future include:

  • Heuristics Good and Bad
  • Teamwork positive and negative
  • Building Passion
  • Automation: Machines and Humans
  • The Importance of critical thinking
  • System Thinking
  • Being Creative
Some of these are, at the moment, a dump of my thoughts and ideas, others are nearly completed chapters.

I do hope you enjoy the book and please provide me with feedback and I may give you a mention in the book..








No comments:

Post a Comment